Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Best of Summer Food

I'm a foodie, and I live with foodies, and I have an herb garden, so WE GRILLED OUT LAST NIGHT! Yay for summer food! I found a recipe online at food & wine, and we ran with it. Grilled tuna (or, in Whit's case, grilled tilapia) with mint sauce. I picked mint from my garden, and I thought that the sauce might be too vinegar-y, but it was a perfect compliment to the fish that Grant grilled perfectly. Food & wine recommended a wine that would not be overpowered by the mint, but 1) I don't really like white wine (red wine makes you live longer!) and 2) I'm a fan of beer. Grant had Boulevard Wheat, I had Blue Moon, and Whitters had a Cape Cod. It all went well with the minty fish.

The star of the show, though, did not involve the grill, but it did involve my green thumb. I made bruschetta from my own recipe with basil we grew in the backyard, and Whit has declared it the best thing I've ever made. Better than my avocado and chickpea salad and better than my tortilla soup. So that's pretty cool. We gorged ourselves on it.

And then I fell asleep full and satisfied, on top of the covers, with the fan going, and I think while still talking to Grant.

You should try it out:
A pint of grape tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
6 big basil leaves
2 tsp of olive oil (or just pour a little in)
freshly grated parmesan cheese (we used about 1 Tbsp per piece of brushetta)
balsamic vinegar
1 french baguette (sliced) for smaller pieces, or 1 loaf of sourdough (sliced) for yummy big pieces
1 or 2 Tbsp. butter
salt to taste

To prepare the topping, you have to slice all of the grape tomatoes into at least 4 pieces. Yes, I realize I am OCD about this, but if you use a food processor or if the pieces aren't uniform, IT DOESN'T TASTE AS GOOD. Slice each tomato in half and then slice the halves in half. This is the time consuming part, but it's worth it. When all your tomatoes are cut, put them in a bowl. Mince the clove of garlic into the bowl. Chop up the basil and add it to the tomato mixture. Pour in a bit of olive oil, add salt, and you're done.

To prepare the bread, spread a little butter on each piece, and toast them in a skillet over the stove. (I wish we would have tried putting these on the grill, but YOU CAN, and then let me know how it turns out, okay?) When the bread is lightly browned on one side (like you are making grilled cheeses), put it on a plate and sprinkle a little of the balsamic vinegar on top. Too much is too much, so be careful. Then generously spoon the tomato mixture on top of the bread, and add a whole lot of parmesan cheese. Can you have too much cheese? NO.

I think all recipes should use all caps.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, folks. It'll be in your best of foods once you try it. HOLY. HELL. IT. IS. SO. FUCKING. GOOD. like, whoa good.

    ReplyDelete